Friday, September 11, 2009

Fish Tank's new young stars



Fish Tank, Andrea Arnold's Cannes Film Festival 2009 Jury Prize Winner, has opened to rave reviews. Exciting acting newcomer, 17 year old Katie Jarvis (now represented in the UK by Sue Latimer of ARG) from Essex, stars as the mouthy, passionate and 'misunderstood' teen, Mia. Katie is a complete unknown, who had never done any acting before, had dropped out of school and been unemployed, before she was 'discovered' having a heated argument with her boyfriend across the platforms at Tilbury Town railway station.

Jarvis told the BBC: "It was really, really nerve-wracking, to be honest. I'd never done any drama in school even. I was always too embarrassed to act in front of people. I never liked having my picture taken.

"But when I went to do Fish Tank it boosted my confidence right up and I thought, 'Sod the cameras', and just stuck my head right into it and got into it really quickly."

She added: "After I'd signed the contract I knew there was no going back from there. It was a bit weird for me really because I knew I had to do well.

"Plus I had a really good relationship with the director Andrea [Arnold], so I wanted it to turn out well for her sake as well as my own because she took a big risk on just picking me from the street in the first place."


The film also introduces another outstanding new actress (described as a "scene-stealer" in many of the film reviews). 12 year old Rebecca Griffiths (represented by A&J Management) also makes her film debut as Mia's foul-mouthed and feisty younger sister, Tyler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo/Image Disclaimer

All Photos used on Screenterrier are not necessarily owned by us. The site uses freely available photos from Internet search engines, most particularly google and yahoo.

We do not claim any ownership of these photos, all rights to these photos belong to their respective owners.

Photos are never used for making direct profit through distribution under our brand name or by selling to a third party, and are only used for viewing on the web.

If you see an image that belongs to you and want credit or want the image removed, please feel free to Contact Screenterrier.